ASIC reports on 2018 annual general meeting seasonJanuary 31, 2019
ASIC today published its overview of the 2018 annual general meeting (AGM) season for ASX 200 listed companies.
Report 609 builds on last year’s report, which was the first of its kind to provide ASIC observations on the specific AGM season.
ASIC’s observations confirm a trend from the 2017 season where shareholder engagement remained significant with the AGM used as an avenue of direct engagement with company boards.
The 2018 AGM season was also conducted in unique circumstances as the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry drew attention to particular companies and directors and heightened shareholder focus on matters such as social licence to operate and community expectations.
Key observations from Report 609 include:
Emerging theme of accountability from boards:
shareholders have used their votes on the remuneration report to demonstrate discontent with boards more broadly rather than just on executive remuneration; and
several chairpersons and CEOs used their opening addresses at AGMs to acknowledge failings or mistakes made by the company and commitment to improving.Executive remuneration was topical, with an increase in the number of remuneration strikes accompanied by an upsurge in the magnitude of ‘against’ votes on remuneration reports.
Remuneration reports that received a strike were not limited to remuneration amount or structure but were used to show discontent with share price performance and other conduct issues.
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues continued to attract shareholder attention with climate change risk and sustainability emerging as the most frequently raised ESG issue.
Overall improvement on gender diversity with women accounting for 30% of board members on ASX100 boards.
Download the report here rep609-published-31-january-2019
Subscribe to our newsletter
- The execution challenge for a new decade January 21, 2020
- Australian Government delays implementation of Open Banking after facing practical issues with the new Consumer Data Right January 13, 2020
- ASIC reports on corporate insolvencies 2018–19 December 19, 2019
- ASIC Financial reporting focuses for 31 December 2019 December 06, 2019
- ASIC releases report on mining and exploration initial public offers December 05, 2019
- Final ASX listing rules reforms – summary of key changes November 12, 2019
- tokenized securities are the next big megatrend of the blockchain revolution November 06, 2019
- CDR privacy safeguards: OAIC guidance released November 06, 2019
- Financial Services Council releases guide to help stop elder financial abuse October 31, 2019
- Final ASX listing rules reforms October 11, 2019
- ATO celebrates 20-year milestone of regulating self-managed superannuation funds October 10, 2019
- ASIC reports on corporate finance regulation – January to June 2019 September 23, 2019
- Does your SMSF investment strategy meet diversification requirements?’ September 19, 2019
- ASIC’s Corporate Plan 2019-2023 August 28, 2019
- Government announces Hayne Royal Commission implementation timetable August 26, 2019
- Countdown to AGM August 20, 2019
- ASIC enforcement update January to June 2019 August 18, 2019
- ASIC Warns On Insider Trading In Small Cap Miners August 03, 2019
- APRA proposes stronger rules on remuneration August 01, 2019
- AASB 16 Leases – get it right as it may have a large impact on your financial reporting July 19, 2019
- FATF releases 2019 guidance on virtual assets: 9 key points and global changes July 18, 2019
- Major financial reporting changes and other focuses June 17, 2019
- ASIC issues guidance to licensees to protect against share sale fraud June 16, 2019
- ASIC consults on proposals to maintain investor protections by restricting retail offers of ‘stub-equity’ in control transactions June 04, 2019
- ASIC releases market integrity report May 31, 2019
- ASIC updates information for businesses on ICOs and crypto-assets May 30, 2019
- Succession Planning May 14, 2019
- Large proprietary company thresholds increased April 16, 2019
- Australia passes new laws regulating streaming of abhorrent violent material by ISPs and other content providers April 15, 2019
- Federal Budget Review April 03, 2019
- ‘Mind the gap’ – consumers confusing different types of financial advice March 28, 2019
- Accounting and Financial Reporting Standards update March 27, 2019
- ATO & Council of Financial Regulators report on SMSF borrowing arrangements March 22, 2019
- fourth edition of ASX Corporate Governance Council’s Principles and Recommendations officially released. February 27, 2019
- ASIC consults on updating its responsible lending guidance February 14, 2019
- Final report of the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry February 02, 2019
- ASIC reports on 2018 annual general meeting season January 31, 2019
- new mandatory wording requirements for service providers under the Australian Consumer Law January 30, 2019
- Protecting your PPSR Registration from Expiry January 30, 2019
- Findings from 30 June 2018 financial reports January 25, 2019
- Western Australia expands its duty base December 18, 2018
- Australian startup and young technology company funding report 2017/18 December 01, 2018
- proposed changes to the ASX Listing Rules December 01, 2018
- Plans to reduce the financial reporting burden for Australian proprietary companies. November 27, 2018
- The SEC reiterates its position on the issuance, trading and investment in digital assets November 23, 2018
- Three companies combining with a common vision of providing coordinated solutions for unlisted companies November 20, 2018